Mortar Mystery

The Chambersburg Herald newspaper of October 4, 1879 recorded that the huge stone mortar which stands in front of one of the drugstores in Chambersburg is made of bases and capitals of the columns of the Court House burned by the rebels in 1864.  It is six feet high, weighs three tons and (at that time) is the largest sign of its kind in the world.  Under its weight is a cavity in which a number of photos of townfolk of 1865-6, are marked in lead pencil and sealed in a glass bottle.

We don’t know what happened to the glass bottle, but the mortar stands in the west garden of the “Old Jail,” part of our historical society.