Stevens office sits just to the right of the hotel on the square in Gettysburg, PA
On Sunday, November 3, FCHS-K member Bob Windemuth attended a meeting of the Thaddeus Stevens Society at the Gettysburg Hotel. The main purpose of the meeting was to dedicate a picture of Thaddeus Stevens that was hung in the Stevens room at the hotel. The Thaddeus Stevens Society was formed to perpetuate the memory and the contributions of Thaddeus Stevens and to further his goals of justice and equality. To see more about the Society you may visit http://thaddeusstevenssociety.com
The Chambersburg Herald newspaper of October 4, 1879 recorded that the huge stone mortar which stands in front of one of the drugstores in Chambersburg is made of bases and capitals of the columns of the Court House burned by the rebels in 1864. It is six feet high, weighs three tons and (at that time) is the largest sign of its kind in the world. Under its weight is a cavity in which a number of photos of townfolk of 1865-6, are marked in lead pencil and sealed in a glass bottle.
We don’t know what happened to the glass bottle, but the mortar stands in the west garden of the “Old Jail,” part of our historical society.