This horse shoe was retrieved during the excavation of footers of the Hope Fire Co. around 1980 at the southeast corner of Franklin St. and Martin Ave. The Hope Fire Co., originally located at the northeastern corner of L.W.E. and Black Ave., was burned in 1864. In 1888 Chambersburg Council erected a new firehouse at the Franklin St. address. The “Rabbit Hunters” disbanded in 1903 and re-organized as the Franklin Fire Company. Story from Murray Kauffman.