Archive for Did You Know?

Annual Journal

Our 25th volume of the Kittochtinny Papers has been mailed to the membership.  Five of the seven articles pertain to the Civil War, one on Frank Feathers, and one on Baker’s Cavern.   Look for it in your mailbox!

Mortar Mystery

The Chambersburg Herald newspaper of October 4, 1879 recorded that the huge stone mortar which stands in front of one of the drugstores in Chambersburg is made of bases and capitals of the columns of the Court House burned by the rebels in 1864.  It is six feet high, weighs three tons and (at that time) is the largest sign of its kind in the world.  Under its weight is a cavity in which a number of photos of townfolk of 1865-6, are marked in lead pencil and sealed in a glass bottle.

We don’t know what happened to the glass bottle, but the mortar stands in the west garden of the “Old Jail,” part of our historical society.

Lorenzo Dow

Lorenzo Dow

Lorenzo Dow was an itinerant preacher (1777-1834) known for  mesmerizing audiences.  Beside the President, he was the second most well known man of the time.  His autobiography was the second best selling book behind the Bible.  It was said he preached at the McAnulty Tavern in Greenvillage “if he didn’t abuse the Catholics.”

Dick Allday


Corner of LWW & Glen St.  Is this really Dick Allday, developer of Glen Street, the first development in Chambersburg?   A German, he was burned in effigy on the Square during WWI.


John Nelson Wanamaker


John Nelson Wanamaker, father of entrepreneur John Wanamaker of Philadelphia store fame, actually lived in Chambersburg around 1860 and during the Civil War.  Nelson and son William were masons who had a brickyard on Lincoln Way East (then known as Market St) and they built Wanamaker Row.  Those townhouses still stand today in the third block of Lincoln Way before the railroad highline.  Nelson died in 1862 and was buried here, but his remains were later moved to Philadelphia.  The only remnants of the family existence in Chambersburg are these townhouses.